People often don’t get the mental health services they need because they don’t know where to start. Talk to your primary care doctor or another health professional about mental health problems. Ask them to connect you with the right mental health services. If you do not have a health professional who is able to assist you, use the resources listed here to find help for yourself, your friends, your family, or your students. Many of these resources can help you even if you are underinsured or do not currently have health coverage.

Disclaimer – Many external links have been provided on this site as a service and convenience to this site’s users. These external sites are created and maintained by other public and private organizations. The Healing Our Youth:Get Educated! committee does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information. Further, the inclusion of links to particular external sites is neither intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended to endorse any views expressed, products or services offered on these sites, or the organizations sponsoring the sites. Healing Our Youth: Get Educated! is not responsible for the care or lack of care you receive from a provider. Please be a good consumer and get references when seeking counseling or help from organizations.

When & where to seek mental health assistance

When to contact crisis services:
If someone is talking about suicide, a threat to themselves/others, or is severely emotionally/behaviorally/mentally dysregulated, hopeless, or helpless .

Colorado Crisis Support
24 hour call: 1-844-493-8255
24 hour text: text TALK to 38255*
24 hour chat:
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
They can direct you to walk-in crisis centers or dispatch crisis counselors where appropriate. Services include:
• Behavioral health triage & substance use screening
• Immediate crisis intervention & de-escalation
• Follow-up crisis services when needed
• Disposition/referral

Crisis Text Line
24 hour text: text HOME to 741741
Facebook chat:
Connect to a  volunteer crisis counselor. The service is fee and text message charges do not apply to Verizon, AT&T, Spring or T-mobile users

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255

AllHealth Network Walk In Crisis Stabilization Center: Acute Care Campus Crisis Center, Tel: 303-730-3303
6509 S. Santa Fe Drive, Littleton, CO 80120
Available 24/7/365

Eating Recovery Center
Tel: 877-711-1690 or 303-731-8173
8140 E. 5th Avenue, Denver, CO 80230

Family Resource Pavilion/Shiloh House
24 Hour Call: 720-213-1400
9700 E. Easter Lane, Centennial, CO 80112
Intensive therapeutic intervention for youth (5-17 years old).
The Family Resource Pavilion is a welcoming place for young people and their families to go for help with a variety of life’s challenges including school and behavioral issues, family conflict, drug use juvenile court involvement, and more. There is a team of experts at the pavilion to learn about each family’s strengths and needs and then match them with the services that they need. Asking for help can be difficult, but receiving help shouldn’t be. With this belief, nine partners have come together in order to provide these families with the services they need all under one roof. These partners include Synergy Addition Research and Treatment, AllHealth Network, Juvenile Diversion Counseling Program, Arapahoe County Department of Human Services, Douglas County Department of Human Services, Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, and Shiloh House.

Local Law Enforcement :  911
Ask for a CIT Officer (crisis intervention trained officer) and let them know it is a mental health crisis: CIT Officers have been trained to recognize mental disorder crises and to effectively manage crisis interactions

Local Mental Health Hospitals
(*many of these facilities have 24/7 walk-in or appointments for urgent evaluations)

Aurora Medical Center Adolescent Behavioral Health, Aurora    844-556-2012 or 303-695-2600
Children’s Hospital Colorado @ Anschutz Medical Campus,   720-777-0123
Cedar Springs Hospital, Co Springs    719-633-4114
Centennial Peaks Hospital, Louisville   303-673-9990
Clear View Behavioral Health, Johnstown  970-461-5061
Denver Health Medical Center Psychiatric ER, Denver    303-602-7221
Denver Springs Hospital, Englewood  720-643-4300 or 720-506-2289 (ages 13+)
Highlands Behavioral Health System, Highlands Ranch  720-348-2800
Peak View Behavioral Health, Co Springs   719-444-8484
Porter Adventist Hospital ER, Denver (inpatient behavioral health care for patients>18 yrs; outpatient behavioral health care for all ages)  303-765-6969
University of Colorado Hospital ER, Aurora  720-848-0000

Local Hospital Emergency Rooms
In a mental health crisis, it can be difficult to know what to do and where to go. Most often, the person in crisis will end up in an emergency room. While this is a solution, it is not the most conducive setting for getting a person help or into the direct care of a mental health professional. The following hospital ERs do not have inpatient behavioral health care at their hospital, so if patient needs admission to a hospital they will likely be transferred to one of the mental health hospitals listed above.
Children’s Hospital Colorado@ Parker  720-777-1350
Children’s Hospital Colorado @ Highlands Ranch, South Campus 720-478-1234
Castle Rock Adventist Hospital ER, Castle Rock  720-924-4581
Littleton Adventist Hospital ER, Littleton  303-795-5437
Rose Hospital ER, Denver   303-320-2455
Saddle Rock ER, Aurora  720-376-6400
Sky Ridge Hospital ER, Lone Tree  720-225-5439
Swedish Hospital ER, Englewood   303-563-3300 or 303-788-5000


When to contact a counselor:
If you are concerned about someone’s behavior and wondering if it is typical.
If you are concerned about someone being angry or depressed.
If someone is being bullied or having trouble at school or work.
If there is a concern regarding substance use/abuse or addiction.

*Counselors can diagnose and provide non-pharmacological treatment/therapy.  For a list of all the abbreviations of the types of mental health counseling licenses and certifications click here.

Align Counseling of Colorado,
7600 E Arapahoe Rd, Suite #305, Centennial, CO 80112
Tel: (303) 475 2757

Alex Avila Counseling
Relationship Institute of the Rockies
9220 Teddy Lane, Suite 1400
Lone Tree, CO 80124
Tel: (720) 316-7771

AllHealth Network (various locations)
* formerly known as : Arapahoe Douglas Mental Health Network
Appointments and Information Tel: (303) 730-8858
*Emergency and Crisis Intervention (see above in crisis section)
Tel: (303) 730-3303

Amanda J. Chaney, MSW, LCSW,
5808 South Rapp Street

Suite 120, Littleton, Colorado 80120
Tel: (720) 580-6609
Amanda J. Chaney 

Aurora Center Adolescent Behavioral Health,
The Medical Center of Aurora, 1501 S. Potomac Street
Aurora, CO 80012
Tel: (303) 695-2600

Aurora Mental Health Center
Multiple locations
Tel: (303) 617-2300
Children and adolescent services including individual counseling, group/family therapy, diagnostic evaluations, behavioral health screenings, medication management, and day treatment. There are also  specialized programs for individuals with intellectual disabilities,  autism spectrum disorder, and developmental disabilities. The Aurora Center for Life Skills and Intercept Center are two specialized programs for adults and children who have intellectual and developmental disabilities. These specialized programs have physicians, clinicians, case managers, and support staff who are specially trained to provide accurate assessments, adapted treatment, and culturally competent interactions with people who have developmental disabilities and their families. The providers are adept at differentiating between characteristics of a developmental disability and the symptoms of mental illness. Most providers in the community are not experienced in caring for individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities so this typically leads to an over attribution of mental health symptoms to the person’s disability. This “diagnostic overshadowing” is a common problem that can lead to the denial of access to mental health care or misdiagnoses that lead to poor treatment. At Aurora Mental Health Center (AuMHC), our specialized clinicians are considered to be among the best in the state at properly diagnosing mental health issues for this population.

Children’s Hospital Colorado,
 13123 E 16th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045
Tel: (720) 777-1234

Colorado Counseling Center,
           Castle Rock Office:                           Centennial Office (Main Office) :        Denver Office:
409 S. Wilcox St.,                            6590 S. Vine St.,                                      950 S. Cherry St.
Entrance C, Suite 1.5                      Suite 101                                                    Suite 412
Castle Rock, CO 80104                  Centennial, CO 80121                            Denver, CO 80246
* At Colorado Counseling Center, we provide therapy services for couples, individuals, and families in Denver, Centennial, Castle Rock, and the surrounding area who are seeking help with improving their lives and relationships. Some of our services include: marriage & couples counseling, counseling for depression, counseling for anxiety, EMDR, counseling for pornography/sexual addiction, and counseling for life’s challenges and changes. We work with adults and with adolescents 15 years old and older.
Tel: (720) 468-0101

                Denver Family Institute
   DFI Denver Campus & Clinic                        DFI Highlands Clinic
3600 S. Yosemite St, #1050                          2460 W. 26th Ave, #165-C
Denver, CO 80237                                           Denver, CO 80211
Tel: (303) 756-3340
* Denver Family Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization offering therapy services to couples, families, individuals, and children from all walks of life.  Part of what makes DFI unique is that we offer therapy services at lower, more affordable rates, and we are a training facility for up and coming clinicians. At Denver Family Institute, our goal is to provide quality counseling services to diverse families and couples, regardless of income level. We often work with those unable to afford private therapists’ full-fee rates and those unable to access services through insurance. Our therapy services fees are calculated using a reasonable sliding-fee scale based on the clients annual household income.

Denver Health STEP Program,
777 Bannock St., Denver, CO 80204
Tel: (303) 436-6000
*young adults (ages 11-24) who are suffering from drug abuse or other mental health issues such as anxiety, depression or ADHD.

Doctors Care,
 609 W Littleton Blvd, Littleton, Colorado 80120
Tel: (303) 730-1313

Eating Recovery Center
Tel: 877-711-1690

Embark Counseling,
8191 Southpark Lane, Suite 201, Littleton, Colorado 80120
Tel: (303) 907-7072 or (303) 726-4560

Highlands Behavioral Health System,
8565 South Poplar Way, Littleton, CO 80130
Tel: (720) 348-2800
*Highlands Behavioral Health Systems’ clinical team is available 24/7 to schedule a mental health assessment or to answer questions. Assessments may be scheduled at any time; walk-ins are welcome.

Juvenile Assessment Center, 2 locations:
Arapahoe County Justice Center, 7375 South Potomac Street, Centennial, CO 80112
Tel: (720) 874-3381
The Family Resource Pavilion, 9700 East Easter Lane, Centennial, CO 80112
Tel: (720) 213-1320
*JAC partners with Aurora Mental Health Center and the All Health Network (formally Arapahoe/Douglas Mental Health Network) to provide behavioral health assessments through the JAC’s Community Assessment Program. The assessment identifies strengths, risks and needs in a young person’s life. Assessment Specialists will pinpoint key areas for intervention, provide clarity, and connect families to supportive services and positive strategies.

Legacy Comprehensive Counseling & Consulting,
9751 East Main Street, Suite 215, Parker, CO 80138
Tel: (303) 841-4005

Metro Community Provider Network (various locations)
Tel: (303) 360-6276

National Alliance On Mental Illness (NAMI) Arapahoe/Douglas Counties
155 Inverness Drive West, Suite 205
Englewood, CO 80112
Tel: (303) 991-7688
NAMI does not offer individual counseling, but does offer a variety of mental health classes to assist family members in learning how to better help and support their loved ones dealing with mental illness. The mission of NAMI is to build a community of recovery and hope by educationg, supporting and advocating for individuals and their families affected by mental illness. There is a toll-free NAMI HelpLine that provides free referral, information and support—a much-needed lifeline for many.
NAMI Colorado HelpLine: 303-321-3104 or email:
Toll-free national NAMI HelpLine: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or email :
The national NAMI HelpLine can be reached Monday through Friday, 10 am–6 pm, ET.
HelpLine staff and volunteers are prepared to answer your questions about mental health issues including:

  • Symptoms of mental health conditions
  • Treatment options
  • Local support groups and services
  • Education programs
  • Helping family members get treatment
  • Programs to help find jobs
  • Legal issues (the NAMI Legal Resource Service can connect individuals with attorneys in their area but does not have the resources to provide individual representation)

Original Path Counseling and Fitness Centers,
6551 South Revere Parkway, Suite 255
Centennial, Co 80111
Tel: (720) 335-5572

Petersen Family Counseling,
1660 South Albion Street, Denver, CO 80222
Tel: (720) 541-6289

Professional Counseling Services, Inc,
4155 E. Jewell Ave, Ste. 308, Denver, CO 80222
Tel: (303) 691-0225
*Individual adolescent/adult counseling,  family counseling, drug and alcohol assessments, and school based drug/alcohol prevention and intervention level services

Sandstone Care,
2100 S. Cherry Street,  Denver, CO 80222
Tel: (844) 856-3373
*Teen & Young Adult Substance Use & Addiction Treatment Programs

Sauder Psychology
9085 E. Mineral Cir., Suite 235
Centennial, CO 80112
Tel: (720) 548-7825
*Dr. Sauder currently sees primarily adolescent girls and couples. Intervention is strength and evidenced based and tailored to the particular needs and wishes of each client.

Second Wind Fund
13701 W. Jewell Ave, Ste. 251
Lakewoood, CO 80228
Tel: (720) 962-0706
Referral Line: (303) 988-3645
Provide financial support for children and youth at risk for suicide to access treatment. We match children and youth at risk for suicide with licensed therapists in their communities. If a financial or social barrier to treatment is present, we pay for up to 12 sessions of therapy from one of our specialized network providers. Our unique program helps referred youth discover hope and healing in their lives.

The GLBT Center/Rainbow Alley
1301 E. Colfax Ave,
Denver, Co 80218
Tel: (303) 831-0442
Rainbow Alley is a safe space supporting LGBTQ youth and their allies ages 11 to 21 for various activities, counseling and support groups. The Center also offers other various social engagement and support programs for LGBTQ youth, adults and families.
Rainbow Alley Drop in hours:
Tuesday and Wednesday 12:30pm-7pm
Thursday and Friday 1pm-8pm

Treatment and Evaluation Services
13693 E Iliff Ave Suite #220
Aurora, CO 80014
Tel: (303) 369-4200
*We specialize in evaluation and treatment of adult and adolescent males and females who have been accused or charged with sexual offenses. The goal of our adolescent program is to provide intensive holistic treatment to sexually abusive youth and their families in a cost effective and time-limited approach. Our methods allow us to provide individualized treatment plans and to provide different levels of outpatient services. Our program follows the Colorado Sex Offender Management Board Standards. Our referral sources include:judicial agencies, probation/parole departments, prosecutors, defense attorneys, treatment providers and private individuals. We also provide services to human service departments, public schools, universities and privately referred individuals.

University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Synergy
3660 W. Princeton Circle, Denver 80236
Tel: (303) 781-7875 or  (303) 282-2626
*Synergy Adolescent Treatment Services is the adolescent treatment continuum within ARTS (Addiction Research and Treatment Services) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. Synergy provides highly specialized treatments for three interrelated disorders: substance use, conduct disorder, and other co-occurring mental health disorders

University of Phoenix Counseling Center,
10004 Park Meadows Drive, Lone Tree, CO 80124
Tel: (303) 600-1959
The Counseling Center is an educational training facility operated by the Univ. of Phoenix College of Social Sciences that models mental health clinics and offers pro bono services (free counseling)  to members of the local community. Providing confidential, quality care, our centers are staffed by counseling graduate students who work under the direct supervision of licensed, experienced professionals. Counseling Skills Centers offer marriage, family, child, couples or individual counseling. Our counselors are knowledgeable, prepared, competent and ready to help you make steady progress with your personal goals.

When to contact a psychologist:
If someone is having learning difficulties.
If you are worried about someone’s social or emotional development.

*Psychologists can diagnose and provide non-pharmacological treatment/therapy (psychologists cannot prescribe medication), but some psychologists only provide educational and psychological assessments. They can evaluate for ADHD, ADD, Learning Disabilities (like dyslexia, etc…),  mental disorders (like depression, anxiety, OCD, etc…), Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorders, and they can perform IQ testing. Psychologists can be PhDs (Doctor of Philosophy), PsyDs (Doctor of Psychology), or EdDs (Doctor of Education).

For a brief description on the difference between psychologists and counselors click here.

Aurora Mental Health Center
Multiple locations
Tel: (303) 617-2300
Personality Tests – These tests help us understand how the person interacts with others and the person’s strengths and weaknesses in relationships.
Mood Assessments – These assessments generally look like a checklist of symptoms and can cover the following areas: anxiety, depression, and mood changes.
Trauma Assessments –These assessments generally measure the impact of traumatic life events. Sometimes they focus on specific symptoms of PTSD or they may gauge the impact of trauma on relationships and everyday functioning.
Cognitive Tests –These tests help us better understand how a person thinks in a wide variety of areas, including memory, language, and problem-solving.

Children’s Hospital Colorado,
 13123 E 16th Ave, Aurora, CO 80045
Learning Disabilities Clinic: Tel: (720) 777-6250
Our learning services include educational consultation and planning, small group programs for students with reading disorders and individualized learning therapies designed to address each child’s specific development needs in reading, written language or mathematics. We also provide resources to expand the knowledge of professionals who work with children with language-based learning disabilities, such as dyslexia.
Neurodevelopmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, Neuroscience Institute: Tel; (720) 777-6630
Developmental Pediatrics at Children’s Hospital Colorado offers evaluations and follow up for a variety of developmental, behavioral and learning differences. This includes issues associated with developmental delays, intellectual, learning and other developmental disabilities, such as autism spectrum disorders.

Legacy Comprehensive Counseling & Consulting,
9751 East Main Street, Suite 215,
Parker, CO 80138
Tel: (303) 841-4005

National Jewish Hospital-Pediatric Behavioral Health Dept,
1400 Jackson St.
Denver, CO 80206
Tel: (303) 398-1260
Comprehensive psychological and neuropsychological evaluations : 6 yrs-18 yrs

University of Colorado Denver Counseling Services
Tivoli 454 (4th floor)
900 Auraria Parkway, Denver, CO 80204
Tel: (303) 315-7270
CU Denver Students, community clients, and children are able to receive psychological and psychoeducational assessment services in the clinic, including Learning Disability (LD) and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) testing.

University of Denver Developmental Neuropsychology Clinic
Developmental Neuropsychology Lab & Clinic
Department of Psychology
University of Denver
Frontier Hall, Room 242
2155 S. Race St., Denver, CO 80208
Tel: (303) 871-4403
The Univ. of Denver Developmental Neuropsychology Clinic provides learning disability and neuropsychological evaluations for children, teens, and young adults. We are located in the Department of Psychology at the University of Denver. At the neuropsychology clinic, we usually work with children and teens who are having difficulties in school. We also see children and teens who have had serious accidents or medical conditions that may interfere with their learning. The clinic offers comprehensive learning disabilities evaluations for individuals who are experiencing problems in school and are suspected of having a learning disability in reading (dyslexia), writing (dysgraphia) or mathematics (dyscalculia) or an attentional disorder (e.g., ADHD). Such individuals often have a history of problems learning to read, spell or do math, or have difficulties attending to and organizing school work and other tasks. Other family members often have had similar problems. Comprehensive learning and neuropsychological evaluations are also available for children and teens whose difficulties are more widespread or who may have experienced specific risk factors for neuropsychological problems, such as certain medical conditions or head injuries. A screening of social/emotional functioning is completed as part of these evaluations, and a more in-depth evaluation of emotional concerns is conducted when indicated.

You can also contact your child’s school, pediatrician or family doctor.

When to contact a psychiatrist:
If medication is wanted/needed for a mental disorder.

*Psychiatrists are MDs (Doctor of Medicine) who are licensed to prescribe medications. They can also diagnose and provide therapy, but medication management is their primary role.

For a guide to psychiatry and counseling click here.
For a brief overview on the differences between counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists click here.

AllHealth Network
Asa Yancey, MD
Beth Ballen, MD
Ben Green, MD
Christophoer Puls, MD
Brian Wise, MD
Dana Krafchick, MD
David Lyons, MD
Children’s Hospital Colorado
Colorado Psychiatry Center,  Ron Morley, MD
EMPOWER, Mary Nord Cook, MD
Mary Margaret Braud, MD
Laurie Reeder, PMHNP, RXN (Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner; can prescribe/mange medications)
Susan Lurie, MD

“Everyone has personal experience or knows someone who has some form of mental illness.”  Teacher, LPS